What To Pack For Your Tibet Trip?
Deciding what to pack for your travel is never easy, especially when your destination is the roof of the world - Tibet! However, with insider knowledge from our local Tibet travel expert, you can easily get yourself started on the preparation tasks. The No. 1 Tibet tour packing principle we like to tell our travelers is to pack enough but travel light! You also need to consider special gear depending on your activity or destination in Tibet. We have come up with two detailed packing lists below that we wish would be helpful. Not every item is mandatory, and we have given explanation accordingly.
Tibet Tour Packing List For Regular Tibet Culture/Landscape Tour
- Chinese Visa or Chinese Tibet Group Visa (depending on whether you travel to Tibet from China or Nepal)
- Tibet travel permit original or copies (depending on whether you enter Tibet by air or by train)
- Printout itinerary with important addresses and contacts
- International travel adapter
- Chinese sim card (if your China tour or Tibet tour is more than 20 days, it is convenient to have a local Lhasa sim card which we can arrange for you in advance if in need and you can use when your trip starts)
- Flight or train reservation to and from Tibet
- Debit card, cash in RMB, or USD, Euros, etc. Checks and credit cards are less commonly accepted. (Only a handful of major shops and hotels accept international credit card.)
- Essential medicine and first aid items (see Medicine in detail as below)
- Water bottle
- Day backpack
- Gloves (especially for easy tour in winter seasons, December - March)
- Insect repellent
- Down jacket (especially for spring, fall, winter)
- Quality socks
- Towel (for train travel)
- Toilet paper (It is always recommended during your whole trip in China, most public toilets may not have it available)
Tibet Tour Packing Advice per the weather and temperature year around.
Tibet has strong direct sunlight during the day. You will feel burning hot if you stand directly under the sun. However, once you move into the shades, you will feel immediately cool, or even chilly sometimes. To cope with the special climate condition in Tibet, we advise that travelers bring items to protect yourselves from the sun (such as sunglasses, sunscreen) and keep yourself warm (such as scarf, coat). Here below is the temperature reference for different travel destination, wish it is helpful when you prepare the Tibet tour packing.
Medicine Packing list for Tibet travel: The following medicine can be very useful during your travel in Tibet.
- Aspirin-for pain or fever
- Cold and flu tablets, throat lozenges and nasal decongestant
- Dietary supplements, such as multivitamins-consider for long trips when such intake may be inadequate
- Scissors, tweezers and thermometer
Additional Packing List for Tibet Trekking Tour
- One or two pairs of water-proof trekking boots
- Sleeping bags
- Walking sticks
- Cold weather trekking trousers (fleece inside)
- Fleece jacket
- Warm Socks
- Torch or headlight